Amaranth – Red Garnet
Red Garnet amaranth deserves its place in hedges, flowerbeds, but also on the plate. The leaves can be harvested as young shoots and eaten in salads, and when mature, they can be prepared as spinach. If the plant is allowed to mature, the seeds or red spikes can be harvested for beautiful cut flowers.
Shipping with Canada Post
Great service: 4.9/5 Google Reviews
We accept credit cards, Paypal and Interac E-Transfers.
Conditions of germination:
- depth of sowing: 2.5 cm
- optimal temperatures of germination: 26 to 32 ºC
- time for germination: 14 to 21 days
- soak seeds in warm water 2 to 12 hours before sowing to facilitate germination (optional)
When to sow:
- Sow indoors 4 to 6 weeks before the last frost date in your area for early flowering, preferably in peat pots OR
- direct seeding when the soil is warm (18 ºC and +)
Sowing technique: in pocket
Inside the same hole, sow 3 to 5 seeds spaced 1 to 2 cm apart; when the seeds have germinated and the seedlings have reached a height of 5 cm, keep all the plants if space is available or keep only the best plants.
- for indoor seedlings: transplant into individual containers while waiting for transplanting in the garden OR
- for direct seedlings: transplant to their final location in the garden
Transplanting outdoors (for seedlings started indoors):
- When all risk of frost is removed and the air is warm (18 ºC and +)
Distance in the garden:
- between plants: 30 cm
- between rows: 60 cm
Height of the plants: 100 cm
Soil: well drained, rather poor
Exposure: full sun
Days to harvest: 25 days for young shoots, 90-120 days for a mature plant
- grows well in pots
Who are we?
We are based in Montreal and are in partnership with the market gardener Birri of the Jean-Talon market, who has been selling seeds to farmers and individuals for almost 50 years.
Learn more on our About us page
All orders are picked up by Canada Post in 72 hours or less. We offer standard and expedited shipping. The price for shipping will be indicated in your shopping cart and varies according to the value of your order and its weight.
- Cereals (6)
- Flowers (36)
- Fruit vegetables (199)
- Fruits (12)
- Herbs (43)
- Leafy greens (77)
- Root vegetables (51)