Asparagus – Mary Washington
A heritage variety grown since the late 1940s, Mary Washington asparagus produces a vigorous, disease-resistant plant. Perennial plant with fine, wispy foliage about 1-1.5 meters tall. Allow 3 years before the first asparagus harvest; the plant will then produce for the next 15 to 20 years.
Shipping with Canada Post
Great service: 4.9/5 Google Reviews
We accept credit cards, Paypal and Interac E-Transfers.
- sowing depth: 1 cm (sow at 2 cm for direct seeding)
- optimal temperatures for germination: 21 to 29 ºC
- time for germination: 14 to 21 days
- soak seeds for 2 to 24 hours in warm water at room temperature to accelerate germination
When to sow:
- Indoor sowing 10 to 12 weeks before the last frost date in your area OR
- direct seeding when the soil can be worked in the spring or early fall
Sowing technique: in line
Draw a line in the ground (in a pot or in the ground), then sow the seeds in it.
Transplant outdoors (for seedlings started indoors):
- when the soil can be worked
Distance in the garden the 1st year:
- between plants: 15 to 30 cm
- between rows: 45 cm
Distance in the garden the 2nd year:
- between plants: 45 to 60 cm
- between rows: 90 cm
Plant height: 100 to 150 cm
Soil: deep, loose, well drained and rich
Exposure: full sun or light shade
Days to harvest: from the 3rd year
- Do not harvest the shoots before the 3rd year allows the plant to become well established. After the 3rd spring, cut the shoots daily when they reach 15-20 cm with a knife until they are thinner and thinner; they are then left in place until the next year to give energy to the plant.
- Asparagus likes phosphorus-rich soils, places sheltered from high winds and where snow accumulates. Cut back dead stems in the spring. Add compost annually.
- Mulch to avoid weeding and drought (optional)
Radicchio Rosso Precoce Presto
Lettuce – Romaine Parris Island Cos
Celery – Tall Utah
Lettuce – Grand Rapids
Who are we?
We are based in Montreal and are in partnership with the market gardener Birri of the Jean-Talon market, who has been selling seeds to farmers and individuals for almost 50 years.
Learn more on our About us page
All orders are picked up by Canada Post in 72 hours or less. We offer standard and expedited shipping. The price for shipping will be indicated in your shopping cart and varies according to the value of your order and its weight. Learn more
- Cereals (6)
- Flowers (36)
- Fruit vegetables (200)
- Fruits (12)
- Herbs (43)
- Leafy greens (77)
- Root vegetables (51)
- Tomato - Roma Orange $3.99
- Tomato - Mini Orange $3.99
- Tomato - Green Zebra Giant $3.99
- Tomato - Cherry - Totem $3.99
- Tomato - Orange Queen $3.99