Squash – Butternut Waltham
Waltham has a cylindrical neck and a swollen base containing a cavity with seeds. Its beige skin at maturity is lightly streaked with pale green and the orange flesh is firm and reveals a sweet, nutty taste. One of the most popular and versatile winter squash varieties in the kitchen. Long shelf life in the refrigerator (about 6 months). Plant with creeping or climbing vines. Awarded at the All America Selection in 1970.
Shipping with Canada Post
Great service: 4.9/5 Google Reviews
We accept credit cards, Paypal and Interac E-Transfers.
Conditions of germination:
- depth of sowing: 2.5 cm
- optimal temperatures of germination: 21 to 32 ºC
- time for germination: 7 to 14 days
When to sow:
- sow indoors 3 to 4 weeks before the last frost date in your area preferably in peat pots to facilitate transplanting OR
- direct seeding when the soil is warm and the temperature is above 16ºC
Sowing technique: in pocket
In the same hole, sow 3 seeds 1 to 2 cm apart; when the seeds have germinated and the seedlings have reached a height of 5 cm, keep only the best plants.
Transplant outdoors (for seedlings started indoors):
- When all risk of frost is removed and the air is warmed.
Distance in the garden:
- between plants: 90 cm
- between rows: 120 cm
Plant height: 45 cm
Soil: rich, humid, well drained, loose
Exposure: full sun
Days to harvest: 95 to 115 days
- For direct seeding, seeds can be sown on a mound of soil and compost and run the plants in opposite directions at ground level.This plant can crawl on the ground or climb on a support.
- However, make sure that the plant is stable and solid, even if it means tying the plant and the squash to the support to avoid any breakage.The squash are ready when the foliage is faded and the fruits are ripe (the color will be fixed and the bark will be hard and difficult to pierce with a fingernail).
- Harvest the squash, keeping a 5 cm stem. Dry in the garden for a week if the weather is dry or store under cover in a cool, dry place.
Who are we?
We are based in Montreal and are in partnership with the market gardener Birri of the Jean-Talon market, who has been selling seeds to farmers and individuals for almost 50 years.
Learn more on our About us page
All orders are picked up by Canada Post in 72 hours or less. We offer standard and expedited shipping. The price for shipping will be indicated in your shopping cart and varies according to the value of your order and its weight. Learn more